Cruisin with the Real"s

Cruisin with the Real"s
Joe and Nancy Grand Cayman 10-07

Loma Linda Medical Center

Loma Linda Medical Center
Where the magic happens........

Thursday, May 15, 2008

phone call part 2

Well, we spend the day actually doing different things. I am off all food and liquid after 8:30am which give me a chance to have some breakfast before fasting. Everyone is on edge so we decide that we each need to spend the day doing what we feel we need to. So, I take a shower and clean up. Pack a bag to take tonight if I go and one for Joe to bring later after I am out of ICU. I realize how many things I haven't done. I make an e-mail list which if you got an e-mail from me that day, you are on. If you didn't and want to be added. Just let me know. I make a current phone list of people that will need to be called if it is a go. I call immediate family and friends and tell them what is up. I update our bank account and make sure all the bills are covered and on auto pay for the next month. I take a nap. or try to....... I hug my guys and my dogs and wait. The longer the phone doesn't ring the more I think..."well, if one of the others was getting it she would have called and told me by now" Maybe I am going in.

There are lots and lots of stories of people being called and even brought in and prepped for surgery then sent home because the organ wasn't good enough in the end or some other reason. hence the reason I didn't want to get my hopes up as I didn't FEEL it was my time. Being 3rd was a long shot.

Joe spent the day doing chores around the house and keeping busy. I don't even remember what Joey did.

Okay, to finish the story exactly at 4:30 the phone rang again and I was informed that the liver went to one of the other patients. And that was that!

The next day I kept thinking that I could have been getting a new liver that day and how my life would change. How happy I was for the person that received it and prayed that it had been successful and that God would find MY liver when he wanted me to have it.

So we wait some more........................................................................................................

1 comment:

Kim said...

I can't even begin to imagine all the thoughts that go thru your head when that first phone call comes in - and then to have to wait all day for a true Yes or No -that must have been hard for you, Joe and Joey.

I know when I got your email my heart kinda skipped a beat and then was sort of disappointed when I got the 2nd email that the liver went to someone else - I mean I was happy for that person, but had hoped that this would finally be your day - I can't imagine how hard the waiting is, the not knowing, the trying to stay well so you are ready at any given call...

I know when God has the perfect liver for Nancy that's when it will happen, until then I marvel in your strength!

Hugs and Kisses,

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.